40 Falstaff Avenue, North York, ON
Building Envelope Restoration
Project Date: September – December 2000; April – March 2001
Project Location: 40 Falstaff Ave., North York, Ontario.
Project Owner: Metropolitan Toronto Housing Authority.
Peto MacCallum Ltd.
Mr.Wayne Belcourt, C.E.T.
Tel. 905-561-2231 Fax. 905-561-6363
A-Plus General Contractor
Mr. Peter Martins
18 Haster Ave.
Ajax, Ontario, L1T 4A8
Tel. 905-683-4072 Cell 416-823-4821
40 Falstaff Ave is 20-storey high-rise residential building. The floor slabs extend beyond the building envelope to form cast-in-place reinforced concrete balcony slabs. Balcony balustrades are provided at the outside edge of the balconies. Over a three years period of time MTHA planned to restore three identical buildings located at Jane & Falstaff Ave. First on the list was 40 Falstaff Ave high-rise.
This project started in September with the installation of hoarding, site protection, and covered walkways.
- Removal and replacement of the eight inches of all concrete balcony slab edges (2,160 lineal feet).
- Installation of new reinforcing.
- Concrete rehabilitation to all horizontal and vertical surfaces (balcony slabs, shear walls, floor slabs).
- Wholesale removal and replacement of all existing caulking materials.
- Crack repairs on the surface of balcony slabs.
- Preparation and painting of all exposed concrete surfaces by architectural coating.