326 Major Mackenzie Drive East, Richmond Hill, ON
2003/2004 Exterior Wall Repairs
Project Date: September 2003 - November 2004
Project Location: 326 Major Mackenzie Drive East, Richmond Hill, Ontario
Project Owner: York Region Condominium Corporation No.645.; c/o Del Property Management Inc. *Sub-contract.
Building Sciences Inc.
Mr. Nick Tassone, P.Eng.
221 Rayette Road, Unit 1
Concord, Ontario, L4K 2G1
Tel. 905-760-0869 Fax. 905-760-0873
Exterior Wall Repairs
326 Major Mackenzie Drive East is a multi–storey brick structure with a concrete block backup wall. There was continues water penetration related to deterioration and de-bonding of the existing sealant materials at the perimeter of windows, doors, vents and floor slab levels. In addition there was a problem with the previously installed waterproofing materials that also resulted in water penetration through the structure and caused damage to the interior finish.
- Exterior caulking repairs, including the removal and re-caulking of all windows, doors and exhaust vents, as well as the perimeter of all sealed window units and metal-to-metal joints.
- Exterior brickwork, including the removal of bricks at the shelf angels, the installation of new through wall flashing and the reinstallation of the bricks (915 lineal feet). There was also the removal and replacement of random brick units at various locations. Approximately 400 brick units were replaced.
- Tuck pointing repairs, involved approximately 14,630 lineal feet of mortar joints re-pointed.
- Masonry clear penetrating sealer was applied to approximately 3,230 square feet of brick surface to prevent the infiltration of water into the building.
- Exhaust vent damper repairs included installation of new vent dampers in all exhaust vents on the building.
- Metal panel painting included cleaning of all rusted metal panels on both buildings with application of primer and two coats of paint.
The project was completed to the satisfaction of the client in two stages to allow the Condominium Corporation to budget for the repair without putting a monitory strain on their budget.