148 Soudan Avenue, Toronto, ON
2003 Exterior Balcony Repairs
Project Date: August - November 2003
Project Location: 148 Soudan Ave., Toronto, Ontario
Project Owner: c/o Peer Property Management.
Building Sciences Inc.
Mr. Nick Tassone, P.Eng.
221 Rayette Road, Unit 1
Concord, Ontario, L4K 2G1
Tel. 905-760-0869 Fax. 905-760-0873
148 Soudan Ave is 4-storey multi-unit residential building. The floor slabs extend beyond the building envelope to form balcony slabs. The slabs are joist extended. The balconies vary in size ranging from 144 sq. ft. to 375 sq. ft. in size. Metal balcony railings were provided at the outside edge of the balconies. Due to the poor existing condition of the concrete forming part of the balcony slabs immediate balcony repairs were required.
The 2004 project started in May with the installation of hoarding and site protection.
This project involved:
- Complete balcony slab edge replacement.
- Through-slab concrete repairs (approximately 65% of the existing balcony slabs were replaced).
- Structural joist steel extension repairs.
- Installation of new thin pedestrian waterproofing system to the balcony slabs.
- Painting of all balcony soffit surfaces by an architectural coating.
- Balcony railing replacement (a new aluminum railing system with glazed panels was supplied and installed).