765 Steeles Avenue West, Toronto, ON
2003 Balcony and Shearwall Repairs
Project Date: May – September 2003
Project Location: 765 Steeles Ave., West, Toronto, Ontario
Project Owner: Danclear Investments Ltd.; c/o Clearbrook Property Management
Building Sciences Inc.
Mr. Nick Tassone, P.Eng.
221 Rayette Road, Unit 1
Concord, Ontario, L4K 2G1
Tel. 905-760-0869 Fax. 905-760-0873
Balcony and Shearwall Repairs
765 Steeles Ave., West in North York is 22-storey multi-unit residential building. The floor slabs extend beyond the building envelope to form balcony slabs. Metal balcony railings are provided at the outside edge of the balconies.
The 2003 project started in May with the installation of hoarding, site protection, and covered walkways.
- Localized removal and replacement of the first twelve inches of concrete balcony slab edges (2,495 lineal feet).
- Replacement of delaminated and deteriorated concrete forming the top surfaces of the balcony slab (430 sq. ft)
- Localized balcony through-slab concrete repairs (1,000 sq. ft) and localized vertical shearwall concrete delamination repairs (600 sq.ft).
- Removal and installation of new balcony base plates (812 PCS).
- Balcony guard height extension (160 balconies) to a minimum of 1070 mm above finished concrete balcony floor slab by spot-welding method of new metal tubes to the existing metal top rails.
- Installation of architectural coating to all exposed concrete surfaces throughout the exterior shearwalls, parapet walls, balcony soffit surfaces and slab edges.